Preity was happy-nervous when she accompanied beau Ness Wadia to bid for cricketers for her Mohali team.

However, her little jig to dhol beats, minutes after the auction, was clear indication that the nervousness was gone. “I wore my lucky red dress,” she said.

With Yuvraj, Pathan and Brett Lee, among others, in her team, PZ’s content. “I’m happy because we got what we wanted,” she said. But didn’t they want Bhajji too? “We so wanted the Punjab da puttar, but couldn’t because of the five million cap. We still have many champs, though. Yuvi’s the captain and Tom Moody will coach the team,” she added.

And PZ wasn’t bluffing when she said that she knew all about sixes and fours. She said, “As opposed to the ICL, IPL will reach the grass-roots level.

Cricketers who couldn’t play nationally because of the quota or because their parents thought the game was only about glam can play here.”

As an afterthought, she added, “I understand why everyone wants to talk only cricket with me. I’m the only woman here, but I want more women to be a part of this.” Hear, hear!


‘We’ll play to win’

I’m exhausted but happy,” said Ness Wadia, after the bidding for the IPL. Ness asserts that even though they couldn’t get Bhajji, their team comprises only winners.

“If you see our team carefully, you’ll note that it is a team of winners. And we will play to win!” he said.

He added, “India has been starved of good sporting events for a long time now. Though cricket has been a national passion, there have been fluctuations. I feel that the IPL has potential and it is also a build-up to a better Team India.”

And is it paisa-vasool? “Oh, completely! Cricket was becoming cumbersome. I never had the time to watch a whole match and I ended up watching just the highlights. Now, I can take out three hours and sit down to watch a cricket match without thinking twice,” he answers, adding, “IPL will give even other sports a boost.” Amen.


0 comments